Wednesday 1 August 2012

CAT Preparation Tips@ Topper Mantras: Momentum and speed is key for cracking CAT 2012: 99.99 percentiler Sai Ganesh B

If you are focussed enough, then even three months of preparation can help you in cracking CAT 2012. Sai Ganesh B, a 99.99 percentiler in CAT 2011 and a first year student of IIM Ahmedabad is an example. In today’s Topper Mantras, he will share with you his secret of getting the high score and making it to the hallowed portals of the top three IIMs.

Sai is a B.Tech in Chemical Engineering from IIT Madras. He has 30 months of work experience in Beroe as Senior Research Analyst and HSBC as Analyst. He is currently pursuing Level 3 CFA. He was rated 10 per cent of the HSBC Employees worldwide and received the HSBC Sport Award. Apart from studies and work, he also has his cultural cells on toes. He coordinated the Publicity cell in Saarang, IIT Madhras’s cultural fest and he also enjoys playing violin.

Q: Why and when did you decide to do MBA? What is your plan after you complete your MBA?

A: I had been working for HSBC for the past two years and wanted to make a career in finance. MBA was the best option to put my growth and development on a fast track. I decided to do MBA last year itself.

I intend to work in a financial institution on completing my MBA.

Q: What is your CAT 2011 percentile?

A: I secured 99.99 percentile in CAT.

Q: Please share your WAT/PI experience in detail.

A: In all the three interviews, the panel put me at comfort even while thoroughly challenging me. The interviews were highly personalized and questions were asked based on the direction I was giving to the interviews.

The focus was primarily on my work experience with HSBC and my knowledge of finance as I am pursuing the CFA. They also asked me about my hobbies.

Q: Which institutes offered you final admission? Why did you choose IIM Ahmedabad?

A: I got the final admission calls from IIM Ahmedabad, Bangalore and Calcutta. All three are just as good. I preferred Ahmedabad for its Harvard style of case based pedagogy.

Q: How did you start the preparation and what was your overall strategy?

A: My strategy was to primarily prepare by self. I prepared for about three months. Momentum and speed is key for cracking CAT so it is important to set aside at least half an hour everyday for the last month before CAT.

I also took mock tests from a well known institute and spent much time on analyzing my strengths and weaknesses based on my test performance. This helped me to concentrate on improving my weak areas in the early part of the preparation and sharpening my strengths in the later stage of my preparation.

Q: Do you think it is possible to crack CAT without taking formal coaching? What would you suggest the CAT 2012 aspirants who would like to prepare by themselves?

A: The syllabus for CAT is primarily based on what we learnt at school (Class 8-10). CAT can be aced without coaching, assuming your fundamentals are very strong. Coaching will only help give direction to the preparation and in defining an approach to specific types of problems. Much of the result depends on how much time one spends working on problems and in building up momentum before the exam.

Q: CAT saw a major change in the format & pattern in 2011. How did you prepare for it? Did this new pattern cause any hindrance in your preparation or exam taking strategy?

A: Pattern required no change when it came to preparation as the syllabus was the same. In the earlier case when there was only one paper, one had to ensure attempting enough questions in each section. As per the current format, this challenge has been relaxed as the two sections are in different slots and one need not keep track of time too much. Also, most of the questions are considerably easy and can be answered in the given time.

Q: What was your preparation strategy for the Quantitative Ability & Data Interpretation and Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning?

A: In the Quantitative Ability area, I had just refreshed the fundamental methods and formulae. For Data Interpretation, I spent much time on solving different kinds of problems so as to gain speed and accuracy. I did not prepare much for Verbal Ability & Logical Reasoning section.

Q: What was your strategy for time management?

A: My focus during the exam was on attempting as many problems as possible as the questions were not very hard. I had enough time to attempt all questions during the exam.

Q: What is your message for the MBA aspirants who will take CAT 2012 and other exams of the season?

A: Focussed preparation for three months is all that is necessary for cracking CAT 2012. Good Luck.

Stay tuned to MBAUniverse.com for more Topper Mantras.

No comments:

Post a Comment